Posts Tagged ‘Strikeforce’

Joe Camporeale-US PRESSWIRE

UFC welterweight contender, Matt Brown, discusses motivation, fights without rounds and aliens in this exclusive interview.

Last weekend, at UFC On FOX 7, we saw welterweight contender, Matt Brown, take his fifth straight win inside the octagon when he faced super tough Strikeforce almunus, Jordan Mein. He again put an exclamation point on a fight by producing another fantastic stoppage. As a matter of fact, of those five successive wins, only one has gone the distance. At a juncture in UFC history where it seems that anyone can be on the chopping block, Brown seems to have found the recipe for longevity. Win and win big.

One of the things that seemed to exasperate Brown at the post fight press conference, was the flow of questions asking if he wanted a title shot at some point. It goes without saying that he does, as one would assume all fighters do. The road to Georges St. Pierre is the one that ever welterweight in the world wants to travel, whether they’re in the UFC or not.

Last week, UFC commentator, Joe Rogan featured GSP as a guest on his popular podcast, The Joe Rogan Experience. During the hour long segment, St. Pierre voiced his fear of alien abduction, recounted some of his scariest nightmares, discussed some incidents where he loses large blocks of time, and would prefer if fights had no rounds. It was an interesting interview, to say the least, so when I sat down with Matt Brown, it was one of my talking points with him.

While he’s not of a mind to be fearful of alien abduction, nor does he lose time, he definitely agreed with Georges on his desire to do away with the rounds in a fight. Here’s what he had to say:

I’m completely indifferent. I don’t believe or not believe in aliens. I’m the same way with religion and God. I have no reason to believe and no reason not to believe. If I don’t see something for myself, then I’m not going to believe it. At the same time, we’re such a small speck in the universe, there’s no reason not to believe that there might be something else out there.

He’s (GSP) just a weirdo [laughs]. I don’t see it as a kink in his armor, though. What we’re doing is a little bit weird, you know. What we do to our bodies every day is weird, relatively speaking.

I’m totally in agreement with him on the no rounds thing. I’ve said that for years and years. There’s nothing I hate more in a fight, then having to sit down in the middle of a goddamned fight. I’m with him 100% on that.


LAS VEGAS, NV - JANUARY 04: Luke Rockhold works out for the media during the Strikeforce Open Workouts on January 4, 2012 in Las Vegas, Nevada. (Photo by Esther Lin/Forza LLC/Forza LLC via Getty Images)

LAS VEGAS, NV – JANUARY 04: Luke Rockhold works out for the media during the Strikeforce Open Workouts on January 4, 2012 in Las Vegas, Nevada. (Photo by Esther Lin/Forza LLC/Forza LLC via Getty Images)

If Tim Kennedy was trying to get inside Luke Rockhold’s head by dressing up like Katy Perry and doing a parody of Black Swan on Masterpiece Theater, it worked.

That’s because the Strikeforce middleweight champion, who will defend his title against Kennedy on Sat., July 14, 2012, in Portland, Oregon, says he absolutely cannot lose to him now (via

“It was one thing fighting Tim Kennedy before but now that he’s put out all these vidoes, I can’t lose to Katy Perry. I can’t lose to the Black Swan. I’ll be disgraced forever. Trust me, it’s a little more incentive to train my ass off even harder. Yeah, I can’t lose to the guy.”

Who knew intense bouts of boredom could be so good for strategy? Hey, when all else fails … fresh tactics.

Rockhold also told the folks at MMA Fighting that he’s not nearly as upset as he used to be about competing under the Strikeforce banner while other cats get fat with Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC). Apparently the powers that be have buttered him up a bit by treating him like a big deal at events.

Feed the ego, please the star.

The had much more to say in his interview, including an update on his beef with Derek Brunson, and you can catch all that by clicking here.


Was it a fast stoppage? Did Herb Dean give Fedor Emelianenko enough time to recover from a Dan Henderson punch that nearly flattened him onto the mat?

That point will be argued for day, weeks, months and years even.

But the fact of that matter is, “The Last Emperor” — who just last year hadn’t suffered a defeat in over a decade and only one in his entire career — has now lost three fights in a row.

The commentators for tonight’s Strikeforce card couldn’t sell the retirement angle enough when speaking about the Russian. It was almost as if they were told to parrot the same point over and over in case of an Emelianenko loss.

That sort of talk makes me think that the newly acquired promotion will not re-sign the storied fighter … and for good reason. He shouldn’t step inside a cage or ring again.

But he will.



Strikeforce has released its heavyweight champion.

Inside MMA has reported tonight on HDNet that Alistair Overeem has been cut by the promotion following his inability to participate in a scheduled match-up against Antonio Silva on Sept. 10 in the heavyweight grand prix tournament.

This furthers a rather amazing story that began back in March when Zuffa purchased the San Jose based promotion and effectively took over a controlling stake in each fighter signed to the company.

That included “The Reem,” a highly sought after commodity thanks to his recent exploits in K-1 and his being the heavyweight champion of the world’s number two mixed martial arts organization.

He was inserted into the landmark heavyweight grand prix tournament before  the Zuffa purchase, however. Take that how you will. After winning his opening round bout by defeating Fabricio Werdum, “Demolition Man” began talking about a potential move to boxing in addition to but not necessarily at the expense of, heading back to K-1.

That’s all well and good but then Showtime settled on a date of Sept. 10, 2011, for the continuation of the grand prix, which would see Overeem take on Antonio Silva in the semi-finals.

This is where it really gets interesting.



The official weigh-in event for Strikeforce: “Fedor vs. Henderson” went down earlier today (Friday, July 29, 2011) live from the Sears Centre Arena in Hoffman Estates, Illinois.

All 20 fighters set to compete on tomorrow night’s Showtime-televised fight card made their respective weights without incident. Yes, that includes the historically-heavy Paul “Semtex” Daley.

“Fedor vs. Henderson” will feature what could very well turn out to be the last stand of “The Last Emperor” Fedor Emelianenko, as he takes on fellow former Pride great and current Light Heavyweight Champion Dan Henderson.

Strikeforce Women’s Welterweight Champion Marloes Coenen will defend her title against number one contender Miesha Tate in the co-main event of the evening.

Rounding out the main card are match-ups pitting Tim Kennedy vs. Robbie Lawler, Paul Daley vs. Tyron Woodley and Scott Smith vs. Tarec Saffiedine.

Complete Strikeforce: “Fedor vs. Henderson” weigh-in results after the jump:



The inevitable has come to fruition.

Paul Daley has signed on to fight for Scott Coker and the boys over at Strikeforce. As we originally reported back on Aug. 2, “Semtex” has agreed to a multi-fight deal and today the promotion has confirmed with his addition to their growing welterweight roster.

The heavy-handed Brit has of course been looking for a new, more permanent home ever since delivering the cheap shot heard ’round the fighting world to Josh Koscheck following their UFC 113 bout where “Kos” took home a unanimous decision win and earned himself a shot at Georges St. Pierre’s 170-pound title later this year.

UFC President Dana White kicked him to the curb, essentially banning the welterweight striker from the Octagon for life, but Strikeforce apparently has no qualms in employing the controversial slugger.





“That fight with (Paul) Daley was bullshit. I am ready to get back in there and kick some ass … I signed a six fight, two year deal with Strikeforce. Let the world know I am going to knock out everybody they put in front of me. I don’t have an opponent yet but I want a big fight; you know. I want Melendez or the next big name. No B-level fighters. Beerbohm is good but nobody really knows him. I would like to get Kawajiri, that would be great.”

After dropping a unanimous decision to welterweight Paul “Semtex” Daley at Shark Fights 13 back on Sept. 11, former Bellator and Sengoku standout Jorge Masvidal drops back down to 155-pounds for his return to Strikeforce. “Gamebred” last appeared for the San Jose-based fight promotion back in 2008, outpointing Ryan Healy at “The Dome” in Tacoma, Washington, and it doesn’t sound like the Miami native is interested in working his way to the top. But can he hang with the likes of Melendez, Kawajiri or even Beerbohm?


NEW YORK (Sept. 13, 2010) – Two-time champion and top world-ranked heavyweight superstar Josh “The Babyfaced Assassin” Barnett has signed a multi-fight agreement to compete for world championship Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) promotion STRIKEFORCE.

“STRIKEFORCE is the home of the best heavyweight division in the world and I’m proud to be able to call it my home now,” said the 32-year-old Barnett (29-5), an expert in catch wrestling who hails from Seattle, Wash. “I’m looking forward to competing amongst the greatest fighters in the world and fighting my way to another world title.”

The 6-foot-3, 255-pound Barnett became the youngest UFC champion in history at age 24 when he scored a second-round TKO (4:35) on MMA legend Randy “The Natural” Couture in Las Vegas, Nev., on March 22, 2002. In his sixth career fight, Barnett submitted wrestling and MMA legend Dan “The Beast” Severn with an armbar in the fourth round (1:21) in Hawaii.


In addition to his achievements in America, Barnett has spent a good portion of his career competing in top tier promotions overseas, including the now defunct PRIDE Fighting Championships in Japan where he notched memorable victories over the likes of Aleksander Emelianenko, Mark Hunt and Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira.

On Oct. 21, 2006, Barnett took part in PRIDE’s first event on U.S. soil, submitting Pawel Nastula with a toe hold in the second round (3:04) at Las Vegas’s Thomas & Mack Center.

In 2008, Barnett competed in another Japanese promotion, Sengoku. After submitting (heel hook) Hidehiko Yoshida in Tokyo on March 5, 2008, Barnett returned to action on May 18, 2008, and earned a unanimous decision over top-ranked rival and fellow American Jeff “The Snowman” Monson.

Barnett signed an agreement to compete in Japan’s DREAM promotion earlier this year. Last March 22, he made his debut with the organization, submitting former K-1 tournament champion and devastating power puncher, “Mighty Mo” Siligia, with a kimura at 4:41 of the first round.

On July 10, Barnett followed up the strong showing with a first-round TKO (punches) over Geronimo dos Santos in the main event of a fight card in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia.