Posts Tagged ‘Wanderlei SIlva’

Jonathan Ferrey/Jesse Holland MMAMania

UFC matchmaker Joe Silva has it easy when it comes to the UFC light heavyweight division, so long as Chael Sonnen is still hanging around. Seems like “The American Gangster” will fight anyone these days. Mercenary!

Far be it from Chael Sonnen to pass up an opportunity to fight another Brazilian.

The former light heavyweight number one contender is willing to fill in for the injured Antonio Rogerio Nogueira, who was forced to pull out of the UFC 161: “Evans vs. Henderson” pay-per-view (PPV) event on June 15, 2013 at MTS Centre in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada.

More on “Little Nog‘s” injury here.

Sonnen is no stranger to pinch hitting, offering his services in place of Dan Henderson in the wake of last year’s UFC 151 fiasco. Still, it’s not everyday you see someone so eager to fight Mauricio Rua on short notice.

chael sonnen
@sonnench

@ShogunRua I HEAR BRAZILIAN CHICKEN IS OFF THE MENU. AMERICAN GANGSTER IS STILL AVAILABLE IF YOU WANT TO SEND YOUR WAITRESS OVER.

Reply · Retweet · Favorite
8 hours ago via Twitter for iPhone · powered by @socialditto

That little potshot at Nogueira is nothing compared to this one.

Sonnen originally called out Wanderlei Silva for a fight at UFC on FOX Sports 1 in Boston; however, “The Axe Murderer” balked at the timeline, insisting a fight against the mouthy ex-middleweight would be a “dream,” so long as it takes place in Brazil this December.

No reason we can’t have our fight and watch it too.

If Sonnen can step in for Nogueira, he would help balance an already tattered fight card, one that recently lost a main event tussle between Renan Pegado vs. Eddie Wineland after “Barao” was forced to bow out due to injury. That seems to happen a lot around these parts, but hey, one door closes, another door opens.

Chael Sonnen vs. Shogun Rua. Who wants it?

Advertisements

Jonathan Ferrey

Is the Chael Sonnen vs. Wanderlei Silva fight, once considered for UFC on FOX Sports 1 in Boston, officially dead in the water?\

“I’m not looking for it anymore, I don’t like to bully guys. I tried to fight him, he doesn’t want to fight. I’m not gonna stick a finger in a guy’s chest. If a guy says ‘no,’ I’m not gonna be a jerk about it.”

Well, this is unexpected. Former Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) middleweight and light heavyweight number one contender Chael Sonnen, who once said he would “do a home invasion” on the “stupid” Wanderlei Silva, has decided he’s not going to be the “jerk” who chases around a guy who doesn’t want to fight him, according to his recent conversation with Karyn Bryant. The self-proclaimed “American Gangster” issued a challenge to the “Axe Murderer” following his UFC 159 loss to Jon Jones, but has since abandoned his pursuit, despite the fact that Wandy claims he’s never been offered the fight (but would gladly accept it). So, what’s the hold up? Paging Joe Silva …

Saturday night following his UFC 159 loss to Jon Jones UFC star Chael Sonnen was talking retirement. By Tuesday he was digging up an old rivalry with Wanderlei Silva. There may be method to the madness.

UFC fans may have been somewhat surprised (those who are still capable of being surprised by anything Chael Sonnen says that is) when the UFC star went from talking about retiring after his humiliating first round TKO loss to Jon Jones at UFC 159 on Saturday night to suddenly reviving a dormant old feud with Wanderlei Silva on UFC Tonight.

“Wanderlei pulled a real dirt bag move on me one time. We’re in a van together, he mutters something at me, but I can’t understand what he’s saying for the life of me. Truly, I couldn’t understand him. He then puts this video on the Internet, with subtitles, because he knows I can’t understand him – I don’t even know if that’s really what he said or not – and it looks as though I’m conceding to him.

“I’m not going anywhere until me and Wanderlei Silva straighten this thing out once and for all,” Sonnen said. “If you’re a fighter, [what Silva did in the van] doesn’t fly, it doesn’t matter if you’re in a van or not. You must respond, and I’m ready to respond to him,” Sonnen said on Tuesday’s show (transcribed via MMA Mania).

Dave Meltzer explained the promotional logic behind Chael’s statements on The May 2 Wrestling Observer Radio (subscription required):

The Wanderlei Silva thing was something he was told to do because they are looking at- I know that the idea is Wanderlei Silva and Chael Sonnen as one of the top matches on the August 17 show in Boston. That’s what they are looking for.

…As far as a TV main event…Wanderlei Silva and Brian Stann is to me, is like the greatest TV main event in UFC. It drew phenomenal ratings for Fuel…it was almost double the highest rated show in the history of the channel. And what a match. That probably was UFC’s best match of this year.

…Wanderlei has got a certain charm and is very over and Chael is a personality

…If you are thinking of a good TV main event, that’s it. Thats a good one to have. And again, Chael will cut the promos to build it up and it will be very good. I don’t know if the match will be great but its definitely the right mix to build a television main event.

Transcribed by MMA.tv

Jeremy Botter explains why this fight makes more sense now than it ever has:

Silva has won two of his last three fights, and even though he’s still not a contender for titles at middleweight or light heavyweight, he’s relevant. Sonnen has lost two championship fights in a row, and the chances of him receiving another one anytime soon are remote at best.

So why not make the biggest money fights available?

That idea probably suits Sonnen and Silva just fine. If you’re Sonnen or Silva, and you know your championship-contention days are mostly over, you have to consider your future. At this point, it’s better to look out for your bank account than to fool yourself into thinking you’re still a contender.

That’s why this fight makes sense. You pair up two popular veterans. You let them build up a fight, and you put it on pay-per-view. Or you put it on the Fox Sports 1 card in August, because Dana White has already noted that he plans on bringing a stacked event to Boston for the launch of the network.

PROPS TO KNOXXGEAR.WORDPRESS.COM for pics!

Came across these pictures in MMA forums and I thought I’d compile them all for your enjoyment!


Bas Rutten


Vitor Belfort


Brock Lesnar


Brock Lesnar


Chuck Liddell


Mirko Cro Cop Filipovic


Mirko Cro Cop Filipovic


Dana White


Mac Danzig


Mac Danzig


Nick and Nate Diaz


Nick Diaz


Don Frye


Fedor Emelianenko

See the rest when you read more!

(more…)

Silva-leben_medium

Props: RawVegas.tv

Quoteworthy:

“I think I’ll be back to fighting in 6-7 months. {Chris Leben] represented himself very well (at UFC 116) and he’s a good opponent. If he’s going to wait, then I want to fight with him next. He did very well, gave a great show and I think he’s a great opponent to fight with me next.”

Wanderlei Silva weighs in from the injured reserves on the performance of Chris Leben, who stepped up on short notice to replace “The Axe Murderer” at UFC 116: “Lesnar vs. Carwin” last Saturday night in Las Vegas. “The Crippler” went toe-to-toe with Yoshihiro Akiyama and submitted the exhausted DREAM import late in the third round. It was a performance that not only won him “Fight of the Night,” but also the adulation from the sidelined Silva. Leben asked for the Brazilian in his post-fight interview and it sounds like Wandy is ready to oblige. Is the former TUF 1 bad boy biting off more than he can chew?

Wandy-new-bleeds_medium

Props: Fighter’s Only

Quoteworthy:

“I went through a very tense and difficult weekend and had a very hard decision. Two weeks ago I felt pain in my knee while I was training wrestling. I had an MRI of my knee and three doctors told me my knee was torn. I took medicine to help with the pain, and although my knee felt loose, I said ‘no,’ this date is very important to me and I continued training. Last Friday, during sparring, I injured my rib. It was very painful and the next day I had an x-ray and an MRI. I discovered I had three broken ribs. After years of fighting, my body made me stop this time. This is a very, very, very hard moment for me. This was a fight I really, really desired. You cannot imagine how much I wanted to fight on this card. It was my birthday, I had friends and family from Brazil and around the world coming to see me and now I cannot fight. I apologize to my opponent. I hope that I can fight with you in the future. You are an amazing fighter.”

A battered and remorseful Wanderlei Silva comments on the recent injuries suffered in training camp that ultimately led to his withdrawal from the UFC 116 co-main event against Yoshihiro Akiyama on July 3. “The Axe Murderer” has enjoyed a long and successful career even prior to his run with the UFC, but are the years of abuse finally catching up to him? While he’s listed as 33-years-old, he may carry double that in fight years. Are we seeing the beginning of the end? Or is this just a minor bump in the road en route to another run through the middleweight division?

Wanderlei_silva_7-610x406_medium

MMA Fighting is reporting that Wanderlei Silva has been forced to pull out of his UFC 116 fight against Yoshihiro Akiyama after suffering fractured ribs during training.

“Sexyama” is expected to still fight on the July 3 event as the search for a replacement is currently underway.

Three Amigos: Wanderlei Silva meets old training mates Murilo “Ninja” and Mauricio “Shogun” Rua in Curitiba, Brazil.

1268744796